Wednesday, February 07, 2018

First

I have my first finish of the year!
I cut all the jeans about a year ago.
I started sewing this project around the end of December.
It's a simple quilt that didn't take long.


Fun facts: there are 255 jean squares, 543 knots, and weighs 7.6 pounds.
(Most full-sized quilts are in the 4 pound range.)
It measures 96 3/4" wide x 85 1/2" long.



It took one week to tie all those knots.
I wish I had counted how many skeins of floss I used but I didn't.
I'm guessing somewhere between 7 and 10.
All of the floss I used came from a tin my mom gave me years ago.



This is truly a scrap quilt.
The only "new" fabric was the sashing, border, and binding...
and that came from my stash.
I had originally bought new flannel for the backing but ended up using an old flannel sheet instead.
It was thicker and we liked the moose traipsing across it.



Another thing that changed was my original plan for the layout.
I had each square so that no two similar/same squares were next to each other.
I even went so far as to number each square. I know, crazy.
When it came time to sew it, I abandoned that.
I tossed my perfectionist ways out the window and went completely random with the sewing.
It didn't matter if two colors were side by side.
And I love the way it turned out.

No comments: