Monday, October 19, 2015

Why


It had been a long couple of days with the viewing, funeral and meal. We chose to make the two hour drive home straight after the family meal. When we got to our road it started raining. We were thankful the storms went south of us. There was this beautiful rainbow behind our house when we pulled into the carport. Of course I had to take a picture. The rainbow is a reminder of God's promise. His promise to not destroy the world again with a flood. It was a beautiful thing to see after a long and emotional day.

I have never been a person that has asked God why.  I have always accepted things as they are even if I didn't understand them.  This is no different.  Asking why doesn't change the facts.  I cannot bring my dad back by asking why.  I have to learn how to live with the way things are now.

Throughout this whole ordeal with the murder of my father I have not had any animosity toward his killer. Yes, that's right I do not hate the guy. Contrary to what the world tells me I have a right to do. I call myself a Believer. (I personally hesitate to use the term Christian. Way too many people claim to  be a Christian nowadays and don't even believe.) I believe that I am a sinner, as all of us are. I believe that I cannot, on my own, be up to God's standard of perfection. He is holy, I am not. I believe that Jesus, God's Son, is fully God and fully man. I believe he is perfect and never sinned. I believe he died for all sinners. I believe He rose on the third day. I believe He is coming back. I believe in the Truth of  His word. And as a Believer, I cannot hate my dad's killer. The Bible teaches that "all have sinned and fall short of of the glory of God" (Rom. 3:23) That's you, me, my dad's killer, and the populace of this planet. It also says that sin has a consequence. "For the wages of sin is death". (Rom. 6:23a) But there is hope, the rest of the verse says, "but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Rom. 6:23b) And it's available to everyone, "for whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Rom. 10:13) It does not say everyone except murderers.  It says "whoever". It's the sinner's choice to make the call, but it is available to all. God's free grace is accessible to everyone. How could I hate someone that Jesus loved enough to die for?

That's why I will not hate my dad's killer.  Do I hate what he did?  Absolutely.  Do I hate him?  No, in fact I pray for him to understand the Gospel.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Good words, Angela.

Dan