Thursday, April 19, 2018

Quilt Quack 10

It's time for the Quilt Quack Chronicles.
I'm going to update on the current quilt projects and the ducklings.
I know you can hardly wait!

So much has happened in our little duck world I'm not sure where to start.

Our adult Khaki Campbell hen with the broken wing healed enough to go back with the flock.
She seems to be doing great.

We put our younger KC ducks outside as they had almost all of their feathers.
A few days later the hen ended up with some leg issues.
We brought her back inside and doctored her as best as we knew how.
Sadly, we had to cull her because she was getting worse.
So now we have one adult KC hen and one 8 week old KC drake.
This gives us the option of hatching some KCs next year.

That left us with four ducklings in the house.
Have I mentioned that they grow fast?
Have I mentioned that Pekins grow faster?


They were 4 weeks old in this picture.
The Pekin is quite a bit larger than the Runners.
It's hard to believe they all hatched on the same day!



Same ducklings at 5 1/2 weeks old.
Like I said, they grow fast!



Around four weeks of age the hens usually start quacking.
Drakes don't quack, they mumble.
We ended up with two of each.
We decided to take the two drakes outside. Our plan is to re-home them.
Too many drakes to hens can be a problem.
The hens will stay inside for a little while longer hoping
to prevent whatever it was that happened to the KC hen.
The hens quack a lot and they're LOUD! Can't hear the radio or TV loud.
I'm not sure how much longer we'll keep them inside...


_____________________________________________________________


I have three (OK four) quilt projects I am actively working on.




One of the projects is a secret one so I won't share too much.
I am in the process of adding photos of my fabric to my quilting software.
This will enable me to design it with the fabrics I have.
It helps me to visualize it.
It also estimates how much I need of each fabric.


Next up is my forever project. The hexagon table runner that I've decided to name Confetti.


For a while I had a falling out with this quilt.
It can get monotonous doing the same thing over and over without fast results.
However, I finally finished sewing the last of the individual rows.
Woo hoo! Progress!
Now all I have to do is add rows.
This seems to have sparked some motivation to work on it more.
That and I managed to hurt my lower back again.
Not much to do (or should do) but sit and quilt.


So this is the state of the confetti table runner.
Not including the current row, I have nine more to go!


The Village quilt is the third official project.
I know I keep saying it but I love this one.



 I have 80 houses so far.
The top three houses in this photo have doors from a door swap I participated in.
It's like each house has its own personality.
I can't wait to have this one done.
It's going to be so cool and crazy!



My pieces for this week's 8 houses all ready for sewing.
If my back cooperates I might do this today.


The other project I'm working on is a "leader and ender" project.
You can read about it here.
I forget to update it because it's done as I sew other things.


I'm making these wonky log cabin blocks.
No measuring or squaring up until it reaches a certain size.
Then I square it to the size I want and put it in a box.
I have ten finished blocks so far.
I've got fourteen I'm currently sewing.
Eventually I'll have enough for a quilt.
It's kind like making two quilts at once.

No comments: