Sunday, June 23, 2019

Graduation Quilt

I knew time would get away from me.
I finished this quilt before vacation.
It's a graduation quilt for our nephew that just graduated high school.
It took me about a year to make this.
It wasn't difficult but I knew I needed extra time to get it done.
(That also left me extra time to do other projects at the same time.)
Everything was done by machine except for the quilting.

I designed both the front and back in EQ8, my quilting software.
I also used foundation paper piecing to ensure accuracy in piecing the front.
There is a pair of mistakes in it but I chose to leave them as they are quite difficult to find.
Your best chance to try to find them is in the 7th photo. It's a lot like where's Waldo!
;-)


Our nephew likes purple so I set out to use that color but not make it girly.
The purple in this photo is about the closest to its true color.



I kind of label this kind of quilt a mullet quilt.
Business on the front and party on the back.
I collected some smaller pieces of fabric that represented things our nephew did or enjoyed.
Farming, golfing, and bacon with a few extras thrown in.
So technically it's a two sided quilt.



A close up of some of the fabrics.



Some of the stitching.
It took about 102 hours of hand quilting spread out over 94 days!
I went back to work a couple of weeks after I started quilting.
A lot of it was done on the weekends.



I finally left enough room for the binding and didn't lose a single point of my quilting!
That's a first for me.



I really liked this quilt and may make it again with different colors.
Although the next time I do I may try a quilt-as-you-go method.





quilt #27
Alec's Graduation Quilt
80" x 92"
(Truth be told... I forgot to measure it before I gifted it.
So the measurement is the intended size. I think it was really close.)




I also printed and pieced the label in the backing as opposed to adding it afterwards.
It worked well.



Alec with his quilt.

No comments: