Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Fallen Angel


These are duck eggs.
It took us about a week to save up a dozen.
It takes a while when you only get two a day (and you keep eating them).
Connor finally decided to forego the omelets to save eggs for an angel food cake.



So I had thirteen eggs to work with.
I'll admit that I had my doubts as to whether or not this would work.
I had read many articles online about using duck eggs in angel food cakes.
Some praised them and said the cakes turned out great.
Others said they were terrible for this kind of cake.
That's not very helpful information,
nor is it a confidence booster.
Good thing I am not afraid to fail in the kitchen.
I'm quite good at that!



So I whipped up the egg whites.
The texture seemed a little different but I kept going.



Can you say fallen angel?
I've made dozens of angel food cakes over the years.
I've never had one fall before.
It fell while it baked and I have no idea why.
The funny part was when it fell out of the pan while it was cooling upside down!
I should have gotten a picture of it.
It was quite funny, especially if you picture an
old fashioned coke bottle sitting in the middle.
(I use the bottle to cool the cake upside down.  It fits perfectly in the center.)


This is quite possibly the saddest angel food cake I've ever made.
It makes me chuckle.
But the redeeming factor is that it tastes good
and it's safe for Connor to eat.



Well son, do you like it?



"Mmmm, oh yes!"
Is it worth saving the duck eggs for?
"YES!"

So I'll have to figure out what happened to my fallen cake and try again.

No comments: