Monday, September 24, 2018

Progress

I realize it's been a while since I posted.
Not much exciting and picture worthy going on around here.
We're getting ready to put up a second pen for the chickens and ducks.
We have all the supplies but haven't actually started yet.
Hopefully this week we will start.



I have basted two quilts in preparation for quilting.


A close up of the exciting basting stitches.
It took me two to three days per quilt sandwich.
Lots of hours sitting on the floor and stitching.
I think we're all thankful to have the living room floor back.
:)



(From one of my practice sessions.)

This is the first big project I have attempted to stitch free motion quilting.
I have to be honest and say I'm a bit intimidated.
I spent nearly a week practicing.
It is easier than I thought and yet it's challenging at the same time.
There's a lot to think about and do.
It takes coordination to move the quilt with my hands while the sewing machine stitches.
Think of it as if someone was holding a pencil stationary while
you moved the paper to draw something.
It takes practice.
Move too slow and you have tiny stitches.
Move too fast and you have large stitches.
I can change the speed and stitch length of my machine.. but it has to be coordinated with how I sew.
I watched a lot of videos on Youtube.
Practice, practice, practice.

Feeling semi-confident, I dove right in.
I know it won't be perfect and there will be lots of mistakes.
I'm OK with that. I have to start somewhere.




This was about halfway through the first side.
I was really satisfied with my progress.
Ah...pride before a fall.

 


It was then that I realized the batting had folded over and I had quilted it into the back.
Oops.
The good news is that due to the way I'm working on this project, no one will see this side.
I wasn't about to rip out stitches and redo this area.
I simply cut as close to the stitching as possible and left it.
:)



As I got to the darker fabric it was nearly impossible to see my stitches.
I began marking a box to sew in.
This has helped to keep me from stitching over my previous area.
I'm about halfway through one of the quilts.
I might be quite proficient by the time I'm done with both of them.
OK maybe not, but I'll have the experience!



I'm also occasionally working on my confetti table runner.
I have two sides attached.
I'm getting closer to actually finishing this top. :)

No comments: