Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Dragon Quilt Update

Still not much going on around here.
Same old, same old… eat/sleep/work/e-learn/repeat
We’re stuck in that pattern and that’s okay.


Nothing much except a dragon quilt update.
I’ve finished quilting along the bottom border and have rolled the quilt.
I love my new-to-me quilting frame.
It was difficult to roll the old one by myself.
Not the new one!



This stencil fits perfectly in the top and bottom border spaces.
Upon rolling the quilt I began the task of figuring out how to make the Celtic stencil work in the longer border sections along the sides of the quilt.
I didn’t want it too difficult because I have to repeat it on the other side spaces as well.

I simply added points to the top and bottom.
It was super simple and I think it blends well with the pattern.
I even made a little template for the added part.



After collaborating with Nolan regarding the quilting around the dragon in the middle,
we’ve decided to go with free-flowing “wind” lines.
I’m a little nervous about the free-flowing part. I like patterns and ruler work.
I’ve done some research on Pinterest and have some ideas to work with.
I'm outlining the dragon and Nolan’s name. Then I'll have the wind lines go through them.
I’ll keep y’all posted on my progress!



I usually draw the lines on a quilt before it’s sandwiched and basted.
I didn’t do this because I didn’t need to baste it before loading it.
Plus I naively thought that I’d just draw the lines as I go… and I didn’t have my stencil yet.
While it is possible to draw the lines as I go, it’s much easier to do on a flat surface!
Oh well, lesson learned.

No comments: