Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Baby Quilt


So I decided to make a baby quilt for some dear friends of ours.
It's a very simple quilt.
I found the pattern in a quilting magazine.
The original had dark dinosaur material and was for a boy.
This is for a precious little girl.
I needed flowers!




I'm not a flowery, frilly kind of person, but the quilt was not for me.
I had lots of fun picking out the material.
The yellow and green colors have small butterflies.
The pink and purple have flowers and larger butterflies.



I was able to cut all of the material in one afternoon.
The next afternoon I made all the squares.
I was chain piecing like a pro.
I'm still really new to this quilting thing.
Most of the time I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing. 




I was a little excited at my progress.
I really liked the way it turned out.
And I got my corners to match up!
Woo hoo!





All the layers are pin basted and ready for quilting!



This is the quilt re-basted.
Remember the part where I'm new at this and still learning?
I now know how to baste using a spray adhesive that's made for quilts.
I had never used it before.
I tried it because I had a pucker in my backing fabric after I sewed one line of quilting.
I figured that the more I quilted, the more puckers were going to show up.
So I ripped out the entire line.
I unpinned half the quilt at a time and peeled back the layers.
Then I spray basted it back together.
I must say that I don't think I will ever go back to pinning again!
The spray doesn't smell and it washes out.
I can manipulate the quilt and the layers stay put.
I'm surprised at how well it works.


I sewed the binding to the back in one evening.
It went rather quickly.



The next day I sewed the binding to the backside.
I've learned how to do this with the machine.
This is the second time I've done it.
It turned out much better this time around.


I had planned on trying to free motion quilt this.
I decided that I need a whole lot more practice!
In the meantime, I will continue to do straight line quilting.


I loved the backing fabric.
You can see the detail of it better in the binding photo.
It has delicate, but faint leaves and vines between the blue roses.


It looked cool with the stitching lined up.


The label.
It's quilt number two.
Hopefully there will be many more.



I follow several quilting blogs.
Almost all of them do photos of their quilts outside.
Now I know why.
The lighting is better and there is more space.


I ran into one problem though.
Pepper thought this was hers.
I had to play keep away from her nosy little snout!
Silly dog.
I guess I'll have to make her one someday.



I was so excited to work on this quilt.
It was a lot of fun and it only took me one week.

No comments: