Wednesday, July 06, 2016

The Great Big Blue Jean Quilt


For the last several weeks I have been cutting jeans into squares and strips.
There are 256 squares that will make up the middle of this quilt.
A funny thing happened with the squares.
I stacked them in piles of tens and hundreds as I cut them.
When I finished I counted my stacks.
I thought I needed one more. So I cut up one more pair of jeans for that one square.
Connor helped me lay all of them out in this grid. 
Some of the rows may have gotten a little askew in the process.
Well, after straightening out the rows and counting
each one, I ended up with one too many.
Murphy's Law.
I may stick the extra one in the border for something different.



Everything is getting white sashing/border (whatever it's called).
I'm excited about this quilt because it's frugal and fun.
I've used fabric from my stash and recycled jeans.
I shouldn't have to buy anything except the backing and maybe the batting.
I haven't decided whether or not I'm using batting with this.
It depends on how heavy it gets.



There's also going to be jean strips all around as well.
My goal is king size. My estimate now is somewhere around 93 - 96 inch range.



I was really hoping to show an entire finished row.
It would have happened but my sewing machine decided to be dyslexic.
When I hit start it takes one stitch backward and stops.
Not happy.
However, it's still under the extended warranty and they're fixing it for free!
Unfortunately that means I'll be without a sewing machine for a while.
Guess I'll have to tackle other (possibly neglected due-to-quilting) summer projects.
Although I was trying to only quilt when the weather was unpleasant for summer.
At least that's what I tell myself ;).


^^^^^^^^^^

It figures that the sewing machine decided to take a vacation.
I just ordered some fabric for Connor's quilt.
After it gets here I guess I'll cut it up and set it aside too.
Bummer.
I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy quilting.
Who would have guessed that?
Certainly not me!

No comments: