Thursday, March 22, 2018

Quilt Quack 9

This time the Quilt Quack post will be light on the quilt and heavy on the quack.
It's been quite entertaining around here with all of our ducks.
It's our version of March madness. ;)

First up is the quilting.


I'm still plugging away at the Village Quilt and posting my houses on Instagram.
To date I have finished 56 houses.
It has been so much fun being a part of the sew-along.
I have my pieces cut out for all of the remaining houses.
I divided them into piles of 8 and put them in baggies.
So each week I grab a bag and start sewing.
Yes, I know there's a door that's upside down.
I did this on purpose. I'm actually surprised I haven't done it by accident yet!
I made a couple of mistakes in the first few batches of houses I did and chose to leave them like that.
One house has a door that is wrong side out. It's light colored and hard to see.
One of the egg houses has its eggs pointing down instead of up.
I didn't see it until I went to sew the sides on and decided that I'd
just match the sides instead of re-doing it.
Besides, it won't be that easy to find it among the 131 other houses.
It will give the quilt some extra character.
As if the crazy houses aren't enough!



I also sewed this baby quilt top.
I still have a desire to make charity quilts for the local pregnancy crises center.
This one is for the baby that Dwayne and I lost between the boys.
I'm hoping to have it quilted sometime next week.

_________________________________________________________________

How are the ducklings you ask?


Cute as ever.



Ducklings grow fast.
They are one week old in this picture.



This was taken yesterday at 10 days old.




Their tail feathers are starting to grow.



We started giving them peas.
It's funny to watch the chaos when peas are involved.



Our Khaki Campbells when they were about 3 weeks old.



Same KC's at about 4 weeks old.
They have reached what we lovingly call the ugly duckling stage.
They look like someone beat them up.
One of them is quite a bit noisier than the other one.
It's not peeping as much but makes a louder pre-quack kind of noise.
We're really hoping to hear a loud quack soon.
That would mean it is a hen.



As if we didn't enough ducks in the house, we have this one too.
This is Brownie, our adult Khaki Campbell hen.
Somehow she broke her wing.
So we're attempting to help her.
She's still laying eggs everyday.
That's a plus.



She grumbles quite a bit when we need to go into our utility room where we keep her.
Whenever anyone goes in there you hear a loud quack.
The other day Nolan went in forgetting she was there.
She quacked and I heard him say, "You startled me, duck!"
I think the feeling was mutual.

If you're counting: 4, almost 2 week old ducklings; 2, 4 week old ducklings; and one adult hen.
It's like a zoo.
It's our March madness.

No comments: