Sunday, July 28, 2019

Confetti Table Runner


I have finally finished this little hexagon quilt.
I have dubbed it the Confetti Table Runner.
This thing took almost three years to complete.
It't not difficult but it is very time consuming.
Plus this was my travel quilt and it was not worked on frequently.




I have worked on this in several states, campgrounds, waiting rooms, and break rooms.
Also a few porches and vehicles too!



I loved this material when I found it.
I happened to be reading Huckleberry Finn at the time.
I'm not a fan of the green but I couldn't pass up this fun fabric!
Every bit of this small quilt is made from scraps or thrifted material, including the batting.



This piece is also completely hand sewn except for the binding.
All those little hexagons (AKA hexies) were hand pieced. :)
There are 420, 3/4" hexagons in this!
The 3/4" measurement means the length of one of the sides.
These are fairly small hexies.
There are some crazy quilters out there that use smaller ones!




One of the times I was working on this at school the art teacher looked at it.
She was impressed with the color placements.
This made me chuckle because my only rule for putting this together was to be sure
that the same fabrics weren't touching each other. This proved a little challenging toward
the end when there were fewer hexies to choose from.




I quilted straight lines through the hexies.
I went against my usual pre-marking and eyeballed these lines.
That's a first for me!



Another first for me was this feathering in the border.
I drew the stem with a french curve and then drew the rest free hand.
I really like the way the border turned out.



I was really torn about what to use for the binding.
So I posted to one of the quilting facebook groups for advice.
In the end I chose red per most of the recommendations in the group.
It was way out of my comfort zone but I really like it!
The funny part is I didn't realize I had any of the blue border fabric left.
If I had I would have used that but I'm glad I didn't. The red really makes the colors pop!


Quilt stats:
#29
26" x 36"
hand pieced
hand quilted
3/4" hexies

...and yes, I've started another hexie quilt. :)

No comments: