Saturday, July 13, 2019

Made for Maggie


My cousin had a baby a couple of months ago.
I really wanted to make a quilt to celebrate this new little one.
However, I was in the middle of trying to finish Alec's graduation quilt.
After I finished that quilt we went on vacation.
When we got back I could not stop thinking about a baby quilt.
I wanted to make a quilt similar to the one pictured.
It was made by my great grandmother.
Knowing I didn't have a lot of extra time to spend making it, I compromised.
I made one block but made it large enough to make a quilt.
I've seen other quilters do this for baby quilts, which I also wanted to try.
So I accomplished both goals in one quilt.
:)


I already had the block in my quilting software.
All I did was enlarge it and print my fabric needs.
This was a simple quilt that only took a week to make.
The pinwheel center is set "on point".
AKA it's diagonal.
I had never done that before.
It was easy but I need more practice as I lost a couple of points in the process.
In the quilting world there's a saying, "Done is better than perfect."
There's another saying that's called the 20/20 rule.
If it looks good from 20 feet away going 20 mph, then it's good.
Works for me. I'm still learning.


I loved how fast this quilt came together.





I pieced together some left over fabric for the backing.
I used my new walking foot for some simple straight line quilting.










Since I got the idea for the quilt from great grandma I threw her name on the label too.



 Quilt stats:
39" x 39"
machine pieced & quilted




Maggie on her quilt!
:)

No comments: