Thursday, June 29, 2017

Mini Quilt

 I made another quilt!
OK. It's a mini quilt.
I pieced it and quilted it.
So that counts.
A quilt is a quilt in my book

Nolan asked me several weeks ago if I could make a quilt based on a symbol from a video game.
So I sketched it out in my quilting graph paper notebook.
I asked Nolan what size and we talked about options.
We came up with the idea of making a wall hanging.
That's where it ended until a couple of days ago.
Nolan asked me if I could make it for his birthday but not necessarily have it finished by then.
So I began to plan on making it pronto!

I began figuring out how much material, what cuts to make, and how to assemble it.
Then I realized it would be easier to make it a different way.
There is a quilt piecing process called foundation paper piecing.
I had read about it but had never tried it.
I watched a few videos to educate myself.
Then I did a practice square with scrap fabric.


You print out the pattern and line up your fabric according to the instructions.
Then you literally sew on the line.
Once you get the hang of it, it is super easy.
I mean crazy easy... and addicting.



I forgot to take a picture of the paper before I started.
I had one corner left to do.


After you sew all your fabrics, you carefully rip the paper off of the back side.
Then you trim it up nice and neat.
Now you have a perfectly pieced quilt square!
No pieces to measure or cut to exact sizes.
So quick and easy.
I loved it!
I may have to put a paper pieced quilt on my quilting bucket list.




Here is the finished product next to my sketch.
I made a photo copy my drawing and used that as my pattern to sew on.
It was that easy.
Not bad for a first time!


Here it is as I started to quilt it.




I decided to use the backing fabric to do the binding.
I had never done that by machine before.



 Mini quilt:
7 7/8" x 10 1/2"
paper pieced
machine quilted
quilt #11

No comments: