Saturday, December 03, 2016

Thankful

Once again I have been neglectful of this blog.
Oh well.
Life goes on. :)
I had every intention of making a blog post last week.
But then I managed to get a cold.
Wasn't bad, just annoying.
So our Thanksgiving plans changed.
Instead of heading to Dwayne's parents house for some turkey, we stayed home.
Since we were sick, I made homemade chicken and noodles instead.
So our Thanksgiving meal consisted of mashed potatoes, soup, and sweet potato pie!
I'm good with that... actually it was very good.


These are homemade duck egg noodles.
Every time I use a duck egg, I'm incredibly thankful Connor can eat them.

Sorry, no pie picture.
We always get it eaten before I remember!


**************************************************************



On to the duck coop, because I know everyone wants to know how it turned out.
It's green.
I'm not a fan of green.
Yes, the old chicken coop is green too.
For both coops I shopped the clearance paint.
Apparently the only exterior colors that get messed up are green.
There was a beautiful blue but, alas, it was interior paint.
So now we have not one, but two green coops.


We painted the inside and outside of the drawbridge door.
It needed to be weather proof.
What I didn't count on was that this paint made it slick.
The poor ducks can't climb up the ramp.
It's more of a slip and slide.
(We'll remedy that in the spring.)



We decided to add a door on the north side to limit the wind and rain coming in the south door.
Hopefully this will also prevent the possible egg thief we might have.
We haven't actually caught her in the act but
it's funny that our fake egg went missing.
I'm wondering where the dog buried it.
(Fake eggs are placed in the desired nesting place to make the hen want to lay there.
Otherwise they may lay their eggs somewhere else... and then the egg hunt begins.)



The ducks are doing really well in the yard.
The two brown ducks were raised together with two of the chickens and not the white ducks.
Sometimes the brown ones escape the yard to be with their chicken friends.
At first we had to chase them back into the yard.
The goofy things seem to know they should be in the yard and now go back in
with no effort on our part except to open the gate.
If we could just figure out how they're getting out!


We put the turtle pond away for the winter.
I think it's safe to say that they miss their little pool.
This duck in particular likes to hog the winter water pan.



There's hardly room for one, let alone two!



She finally got out so someone else could take a bath.
It's quite often that that brown duck is in the water dish though.

No comments: