Wednesday, August 08, 2018

CBC 2018

A couple of weeks ago Connor and I went to Checkpoint Bible Camp.
He was a camper and I was part of the kitchen staff.
I had a record number of special food need campers this year.
I was so thankful to have a helper!
I also helped out more than normal in the kitchen.
Most years I have tried to stay out of the way.
There were usually enough people that I wasn't really needed.
This year, however, we had fewer kitchen staff than in past years.
I helped out as much as I could.
Depending on the day, we feed between 180 and 200 people three times a day.
It was a lot of work but we had a lot fun too.
Besides working, I went swimming, kayaking, and did the float trip too.
The week went by really fast!



Why I don't take selfies...
I have little to no selfie skills.
That and I was afraid to drop my phone in the pond.




Blurry success!




The weather was perfect for camp this year.
Not too hot and not stormy either.
I think it rained lightly the first afternoon, but that was it.
We were glad it wasn't super hot, especially considering the air
conditioner wasn't working in the kitchen. It got a little warm in there!
We survived.




See the reeds in the above picture?
I thought it would be a good idea to go through
the little clearing that was in them.
Bad idea.
I didn't get stuck.
I picked up some hitch hikers.
At least two spiders were crawling on the rim above my shins.
I'm OK with spiders but not confined in a kayak on a pond with nothing to smash them with.
I really thought I might flip the boat trying to kill them...
especially when they dropped down inside.
No thanks, lesson learned.
Avoid the reeds next time.



I don't have tons of pictures. I was having phone issues.
We did pop a lot of popcorn!
It took two evenings (and possibly an adventure or two).




This pile was for the middle school camp after their float trip.
It was my first time going on the trip.
It was a nice relaxing two hours of floating down the Tippecanoe River in inner tubes.
Many laughs during that adventure as well.



A few years ago I took on the snack drop.
All campers get a snack in the afternoon.
 The snack tally sheets are filled out every day by each cabin.
Eventually the slips make their way to me.
One day we got this on the back of one of them.
It was very sweet of them to thank us.

Camp was awesome this year in so many ways.
Lots of work and lots of laughs.
But the most important thing was that there was clear Bible teaching happening.
I really wish I would have sat in on more middle school camp teaching.
It was on prayer and it was really good.

No comments: